Last year I decided to do something fun and motivate myself to work out. I joined a group of local blogging ladies and signed up to run the Dirty Girl Mud Run. I was so nervous and out of shape, but ended up having the most amazing time and the obstacles were a blast. If you have ever wanted to do a run like this, go for it! This is a good entry run in my opinion and so enjoyable. I am so excited that this year Dirty Girl has chosen me to be a blog ambassador and given me free entry to the run on December 7th so I can share my experience with you.
Dirty Girl is the nation’s largest women’s-only mud run. It’s a non-competitive muddy obstacle course that’s open to women of all ages and athletic abilities. Cancer survivors run at all Dirty Girl events for free, and Dirty Girl will give $250,000 in 2013 to breast cancer charity Bright Pink. This is especially meaningful for me this year as my 2nd mom Maggie is currently battling breast cancer so this year I am running for her.
The following are a few things I learned along the way last year:
1. Go with friends who have the same goal, having fun and finishing. If you want to be competitive and are concerned about finishing times this is not the race for you.
2. Don’t stress about the running. There were lots of breaks while waiting for your turn to complete obstacles.
3. You can wear your contacts. I took my glasses, eyewash, etc. as backups just in case but left them in the car.
4. Pay attention to what you wear. Last year I wore a cotton V neck shirt and it did not work well at all. Once it was wet and muddy it stretched out badly. Wear fitting clothing and a padded bra in dark colors. You don’t want to feel uncomfortable and exposed when you are trying to have fun. Running shorts or fitted capri’s are fine.
5. Getting your muddy self home. The line for the showers, aka water hoses was long. Hubs helped me wrap in a plastic paint cloth so I could sit in the car and not get the seat or seat belt muddy. I should have taken a photo it must have looked really funny, but it worked well.
6. I saw a variety of shoes, I wore my vibrams five finger shoes and they worked excellent. The mud and water drained out so quickly and did not weigh me down.
7. Bring someone to hold you things and take photos. Glad we had a few husbands who came to cheer us on and take fun photos during the run and at the finish line.
Are you ready to run yet? Dirty Girl Mud Run is giving my blog readers 20% off registration! The run will be Saturday, December 7th and there are different start times you can sign up for. The discount code is DGSANANTONIO. For more information and to sign up please visit their website.
Here are some of the photos from our run last year.
Want to see more? Visit Blood, Sweat and Minivans post event blog with lots of photos from last year.
Here is a are posts from Morena of Morena’s Corner on DG. I look forward to running with them both this year again.
Have you ever done a fun 5K? Are you planning on doing the DG Mud Run? Please join me!!
(Psst. Don’t forget – use the discount code DGSANANTONIO for 20% off registration!)